This NoE's primary purpose is strengthening scientific and educational excellence in the field of interfirm networks and relationships. This is to be done by integrating research projects and research groups at international level into sustainable research community.
NoE is an instrument to overcome fragmentation, to achieve long-term beneficial integration of participants' research potential, as well as to make new scientific achievements. NoE should provide necessary antecedents to regional leadership by assembling the critical mass of research resources as well as by developing specialization of researchers and streamlining knowledge exchanges.
NoEs do not act as “closed clubs”. NoE mission is to promote diffusion of knowledge on interfirm networks and relationships in wider academic community and and spread excellence beyond its boundaries by streamlining scientific achievements into educational programs. See NoE leaflet.
NoE activities comprise three basic directions:
1. A set of integrating activities
2. Joint research programme
3. Dissemination of knowledge
Integrating activities are targeted at establishing sustainable and long-term interactions. Thid includes:
1. Research co-ordination and management in order to strengthen their complementarity and develop mutual specialisation
2. Sharing common research tools and platforms
3. Joint use of research infrastructures, and adaptation of the existing facilities with a view to their shared use
4. Exchanges of personnel and staff mobility
5. Integrated management of knowledge and intellectual property
6. Reinforcement of electronic information and communication networks to support interactive working between the teams involved
A programme of jointly executed research
Joint research activities mean jointly executed research to support the network’s goals. It includes the development of new research tools and platforms for common use or new knowledge generation that fills gaps in or extends the collective knowledge on networks and relationships. Joint activities necessarily include discussion of research topics, designing uniform scientific approaches, and joint research projects, including projects of comparative analysis.
Activities aimed at spreading knowledge include engaging students in research, developing new training courses and learning programs, and implementing them in the graduate and postgraduate programmes. Other dissemination and communication activities are publications and conferences that help transfer knowledge to teams external to the network.
NoE project is managed based on polycentric principle. The centers of decision-making include Administration team, Management team, and Advisory Council. The key recipients are scientific bodies and individual researchers, as well as businesses.